The Coalition Against the Rockaway Pipeline (CARP) is a grassroots alliance of organizations and individuals. Our mission is to prevent the construction of the Williams/Transco Rockaway Lateral Pipeline Project.
This project calls for a major gas pipeline running through Gateway National Recreation Area, including Jacob Riis Park and Jamaica Bay, as well as the installation of a gas metering and regulating station in two historic hangars at Floyd Bennett Field. If implemented, this project will:
- Cause significant disruption and harm to the wildlife and ecosystems in Jamaica Bay and Gateway National Recreation Area
- Set a precedent that allows a private, for-profit corporation to lease national parklands for destructive industrial purposes
- Place the entire area at risk of a catastrophic gas explosion in the event of an accident or terrorist action
- Increase reliance on methane gas and encourage hydrofracking, with the inevitable degradation of water, air, health, and local economies, and the exposure to radioactivity, that results from this practice
- Discourage the development of renewable resources and accelerate climate change
The Williams/Transco project has been fast-tracked through Congress with inadequate public oversight or decision-making authority. We the people are asserting our right and our obligation to protect these public lands now and for future generations.